Whitby beats Buffalo 6-5 after comeback scare

The Whitby Fury survived a determined comeback attempt by the Buffalo Jr. Sabres on the way to a 6-5 win.

Whitby took a 5-1 lead during the second period, only to have Buffalo storm back on a Ryan Kuhn goal 16:26 into the third period to pull to one goal down.


The Fury’s penalty kill excelled, as Whitby gave up one goal despite allowing six power plays.

The Fury kept the Jr. Sabres’ goalie busy throughout the game, and Alex Connal made 31 saves on 37 shots. Whitby was forced to rely heavily on their penalty kill unit throughout the game, as it racked up 18 penalty minutes. The Fury’s defensemen played an important role in the offense, chipping in two goals.

Whitby was helped by Jeremy Wu, who finished with one goal. Wu scored 36 seconds into the first period to make the score 1-0 Whitby. Jonathan OHara assisted on the tally. Whitby also got points from Zack Elson, who also registered one goal and two assists to lead the team in points and Stefan von Engelbrechten, who also had one goal and one assist. Others who scored for Whitby included Luke KeenanMitchell Burghardt, and Mitch Emerson, who each put in one. More assists for Whitby came via Ryan Kirkup, who had one.

Buffalo forced the Fury goalie Austin Cain to work between the pipes, taking 33 shots. The Jr. Sabres bested their season scoring average. Buffalo averages 2.5 goals per game. The Jr. Sabres could not stay out of the penalty box, as the team accrued 18 minutes in penalties during the game.

Buffalo also had goals scored by Christopher BergerBen CasaleJustin Cmunt, and Zach Evancho, who scored one goal each. In addition, Buffalo received assists from Tim Kielich, who had two and Aiden SalernoTim NicksicWilson VershayDaniel Lafontaine, and Kenny Tencza, who contributed one each.

Cain rejected 28 shots on goal for Whitby. The Fury registered two goals on six power play opportunities. Whitby ran into serious disciplinary problems during the contest, and Justin Brand was ejected from the game.